- Overnight transient parking: $5/night for aircraft 10,000 lbs. MTOW or less, or $1 per 1,000 lbs. for aircraft over 10,000 lbs. MTOW. For example, a Cessna 172 = $5/night. A King Air 200 = $13/night.
- Overnight vehicle parking: $3/night for small vehicles. $10/night for large vehicles. $20/night for tractor trailers.
- Landing Fees apply to all aircraft on a Part 135 certificate, regardless of how an individual flight is operated. $10 for aircraft 10,000 lbs. MTOW or less, or $1 per 1,000 lbs. for aircraft over 10,000 lbs. MTOW. For example, a Cessna 421 = $10/landing. A Citation Excel = $20/landing.
- Short Term Operating Permit: $200
- Monthly Tiedown Fees: Single-engine 40' x 35', T-shape or open space (1050 sq.ft. or less) = $115.50 / month
- Spaces exceeding 1050 sq. ft. = $0.11 per sq. ft.
- Conference Room Rental: Contact Airport Operations
- A $10 administrative fee is added to all invoices
- Call the FBOs for fuel prices, ramp fees, hangars, etc.
On May 20, 1950, the City of San Diego named Montgomery Field in honor of John J. Montgomery, who is credited with making the first controlled flight in a fixed wing aircraft. Montgomery's first glider flight took place in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego in 1883.
The City of San Diego purchased the airport from William (Bill) Gibbs in 1947. The airport, originally known as Gibbs Field, opened in 1937 with a single runway. In 1940, Bill Gibbs leased the airport to Ryan School of Aeronautics to train Army Air Corps cadets to fly.
Today, Montgomery Field is a busy general aviation airport. General aviation encompasses all aviation except air carrier and military. The types of general aviation aircraft that operate at Montgomery Field include private, corporate, charter, air ambulance, law enforcement, fire rescue, flight training and cargo.
The FAA has classified Montgomery Field as a reliever airport for San Diego International, Lindbergh Field. A reliever airport is an airport that serves general aviation aircraft that might otherwise use a congested air carrier airport. Airline passengers benefit by experiencing fewer delays due to air traffic congestion.
Runway 10L/28R: 4577 x 150 ft, asphalt, MIRL, VASI, MALSR (28R), precision markings (28R), 1176 ft displaced threshold (28R)
Runway 10R/28L: 3401 x 60 ft, asphalt, REIL (28L), basic markings
Runway 5/23: 3400 x 150 ft, asphalt, basic markings, 390 ft displaced threshold (5)
Airport Elevation: 427 ft MSL
Tower: 119.2 MHz (Pri) or 125.7 MHz (Sec) (Manned 0600 - 2100L Daily)
Ground: 118.22 MHz
Clearance Delivery: 123.725 MHz
ATIS: 126.9 MHz
Approach (SOCAL): 124.35 MHz
Departure (SOCAL): 119.6 MHz
CTAF: 119.2 MHz (2100 - 0600 L)
Pilot Controlled Lighting (MALSR/VASI): 119.2 MHz
UNICOM: 122.95 MHz
ASOS: (858) 576-4337
ATIS: (858) 277-3075
Instrument Approaches: ILS OR LOC RWY 28R (111.7), RNAV (GPS) RWY 28R
Right Traffic Runways 28R and 10R
TPA Runway 10L-28R: 1227 MSL (800 AGL) single engine, 2027 MSL (1600 AGL) multiengine/turbine
TPA Runways 10R-28L and 5-23: 1427 MSL (1000 AGL) single engine, 2027 MSL (1600 AGL) multi engine/turbine
MISSION BAY VORTAC (117.8) 4.8 nm WSW of airfield
Airspace: Class D (0600 - 2100L), otherwise Class G
- Fuel (Jet and Avgas)
- Aircraft and vehicle parking
- Aircraft maintenance
- Flight training
- Aircraft rental
- Aircraft sales
- Aircraft charter
- Car rental
- Pilot Supplies
Advanced Aircraft Service (858) 560-7599
Cessna Service Center and aircraft maintenance
Armed Forces Aero Club (858) 874-2322
ATP Flight School (800) 255-2877
Aviation Unlimited (800) 318-8001
Coast Flight Training and Management (858) 279-4359
Flight training and aircraft management services
Casa Machado (858) 292-4716
Mexican food restaurant
Corporate Helicopters of San Diego (858) 505-5650
Helicopter tours, sales, filming and construction projects
Coast Aircraft (858) 278-3878
Aircraft hangars and maintenance
Crownair Aviation (858) 277-1453
Fixed Base Operator and aircraft maintenance
Four Points by Sheraton (858) 277-8888
Gibbs Flying Service (858) 277-0310
Fixed Base Operator and aircraft maintenance
Golden Wings (619) 569-1906
Learn to Fly San Diego (858) 694-0198
Marv Golden (858) 569-5220 or (800) 348-0014
National Air College (858) 279-4595
Fixed Base Operator and flight school
Plus One Flyers
San Diego Air Tours (888) 236-7260
San Diego Flight Training International (858) 569-1822
San Diego Police Air Support Unit
Sorbi Aviation Service (858) 874-2374
Spiders Aircraft Service (858) 277-0312
Aircraft maintenance and hangars
3750 John J. Montgomery Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Airport Operations 858-573-1440
Airport Noise Abatement 858-573-1436
For other questions or concerns, see the Frequently Asked Questions or call 858-573-1440.