As of March 14, 2016, this website is available for historical reference only and will no longer be maintained.

Visit the City of San Diego's official website at

Accessibility and Website Information Skip Site Wide Navigation Skip to Content City Seal | HomeCity of San Diego | Home
Search City of San Diego

Passport Services

IMPORTANT: We do not offer expedited services for passports. You must have 4-6 weeks before you need to travel.

Schedule an Appointment: Call 619-533-4000 [TTY/TDD 619-236-7012] or use our "Book Now" button below. Making an appointment is the only way to guarantee you will be seen.

Limited Walk-In Service*: 9:00-10:00 a.m. ONLY, Tuesday-Thursday (excluding holidays). First come, first served.
Note: This service will NOT be available on 2/17/2016, 3/23/2016, 3/31/2016, 4/7/2016, 4/21/2016, 4/26/2016, or 5/25/2016.

*Walk-in Service not available on days of Naturalization Ceremonies. Call in advance to confirm availability.


For the latest information on how to apply for a passport, and for current passport processing times, please be sure to check the Passport Agency website.

You may pick up an application at the Clerk's Passport Services Office, or download the form from the Passport Agency's website: Passport Application DS-11. The form must be completed, but not signed, prior to arriving for your appointment. Please note: Black ink is required.

Service Hours

The Passport Services Office is open by appointment only, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. (excluding holidays). Special hours may be scheduled periodically.

The last applicant of the day will be scheduled 30 minutes before the Passport Services Office closes.

Schedule an Appointment

Call the City Clerk's Passport Services Line at 619-533-4000 [TTY/TDD 619-236-7012], or use the "Book Now" button below to make your own appointment via our online scheduling system.

Book an appointment with Passport Services
Powered by Appointment-Plus

Visit Us:
City Administration Building
202 C Street
1st Floor

PLEASE NOTE: We do not offer expedited services for passports. You must have 4-6 weeks before you need to travel.

Please Come Prepared

Bring these six items with you to your appointment:

  1. In black ink, a completed, UNSIGNED application.
    You must sign the application in front of the passport agent.

  2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship.
    All documents must be originals.
    • Original or certified copy of birth certificate, OR
    • Previous U.S. passport*, OR
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, OR
    • Naturalization Certificate, OR
    • Certificate of Citizenship
    *Note: For Minors under Age 16, you must establish proof of citizenship AND proof of relationship. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s). Check the Passport Agency website for further information on proof of relationship regarding minors.

  3. Identification
    Submit a photocopy showing the front and back of the original Identification document presented. Copy must be one-sided on plain white, 8-1/2x11 standard paper.
    • Current, valid driver's license
    • Government ID: city, state or federal
    • Military ID: military and dependents

  4. Passport Photos
    • Photo Service is available from the City Clerk for $10, OR
    • Bring one (1) color passport photo, 2x2 in size, taken within the past six (6) months. Please check the Passport Agency website for further requirements regarding photos.

  5. and 6. Payments
    The City Clerk accepts personal checks or money orders only. No cash, credit or debit cards are accepted.
    • Two payments are required: one made payable to "Department of State," and one made payable to "City Treasurer."
    • Both payments must be made either with a personal check, or with a money order.
    Go to Passport Fees on the current U.S. Department of State fee schedule.

Passport Renewals

For most renewals, you do not need to appear in person.

You can renew by mail if:

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged;
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years;
  • You were over age 16 when it was issued;
  • You still have the same name, or can legally document your name-change

If your passport has been altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.

For more information on how to renew a passport, please visit the Passport Renewal Information page. You can get a passport renewal application form by downloading it here: Renewal Form DS-82.

For other questions or concerns, see the Frequently Asked Questions, call 619-533-4000, or email