Forms and Development Information
Codes, Regulations, Requirements
- California Building Codes
- Revised Version Effective June 8, 2015
- 2013 Construction Codes
- Local Amendments to the 2013 Codes
- 2010 Construction Codes
- 2008 Energy Efficiency Standards
- 2007 Construction Codes
- Accessibility Requirements
- Design Guidelines and Templates
- Fire Safety Codes, Regulations and Information
- Requests for Alternate Materials and Methods
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Requirements
- Technical Policies
- Unreinforced Masonry (URM) Program
- Building Code Information
- California Codes
- Other Resources
- As-Built Plan Standard
- Removal of Temporary Traffic Control Plans from As-Built
- City of San Diego Municipal Code
- Residential Zone Regulations
- Planned District Zone Regulations
- Development Processes and Procedures
- Land Development Manual
Provides information to assist in the processing and review of applications.
- Project Submittal Manual
Ensures that all submitted projects contain sufficient information to allow a quality City staff review of the project for conformance with the Land Development Code, City policies, and with state and federal regulations.
- Development Process Step-by-Step
An online guide to help you navigate the process for developing property from concept to completion for your project.
- Land Development Manual
- More Useful Regulations, Processes and Procedures
|Section||Description||Revision Date||File Type|
|Section 1||Guide to Project Submittal Process||February 16, 2016|
|Section 2||Construction Permits - Structures||February 16, 2016|
|Section 2A||Single Dwelling Unit/Duplex and Accessory Structures||February 16, 2016|
|Section 3||Construction Permits - Grading and Public Right-of-Way||February 16, 2016|
|Section 4||Development Permits/Approvals||February 16, 2016|
|Section 5||Subdivision Approvals||February 16, 2016|
|Section 6||Policy Approvals||February 16, 2016|
|Section||Description||Revision Date||File Type|
|Section 1||Guide to the Project Submittal Process||June 8, 2015|
|Section 2||Construction Permits - Structures||June 8, 2015|
|Section 2A||Single Dwelling Unit/Duplex and Accessory Structures||June 8, 2015|
|Section 3||Construction Permits - Grading and Public Right-of-Way||June 8, 2015|
|Section 4||Development Permits/Approvals||June 8, 2015|
|Section 5||Subdivision Approvals||June 8, 2015|
|Section 6||Policy Approvals||June 8, 2015|
The 2013 edition of the California Building Standards Code were adopted by the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC). The State regulations will be in effect at the local level and are enforced by the City of San Diego for projects whose construction permit applications are deemed completed on or after January 1, 2014.
- California Energy Code, Part 6 – Effective July 1, 2014
The 2013 California Energy Code (CEC), Part 6, Title 24, California Code of Regulations will go into effect on July 1, 2014. Until July 1, 2014, the 2010 edition and associated energy efficiency standards will remain in effect.
- California Administrative Code, Part 1, Chapter 10
Effective July 1, 2014 The 2013 California Administrative Code, Chapter 10, Part 1, Title 24, California Code of Regulations will go into effect on July 1, 2014. Until July 1, 2014, the 2010 edition and associated energy efficiency standards will remain in effect. This part includes administrative regulations for CALGreen and the CEC.
- California Green Building Standards Code, Part 11
Affected energy provisions only of the 2013, Part 11, Title 24, California Code of Regulations will go into effect on July 1, 2014. The affected energy provisions that will not be effective until July 1, 2014 are identified in BUILDING STANDARDS INFORMATION BULLETIN 13-07 dated December 18, 2013 and that can be downloaded from California Building Standards Commission Bulletins.
Online access to all parts of the 2013 California Building Standards Code and errata and supplements can be found at the California Building Standards Commission web site at California Building Standards Code (Title 24, California Code of Regulations).
Local amendments to the 2013 editions of the California Building Code, California Residential Code, California Electrical Code, California Mechanical Code, California Plumbing Code, California Fire Code and the California Green Building Standards Code are currently under review. The proposed regulations go into effect 30 days after final passage and are expected to be in effect for construction permit applications submitted and deemed complete on or after August or September 2015.
- For a list of proposed local amendments to the 2013 codes see Board of Appeals.
The State of California has adopted and amended the new codes into the 2013 edition and the City of San Diego has adopted local amendments as follows:
- 2013 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE (Part 2 of Title 24) based on the 2012 International Building Code (IBC) published by the International Code Council.
- Local Amendments. The City of San Diego did not adopt Chapter 1 Division II of the 2013 CBC and codifies administrative regulations for construction permits in Chapter 11 and 12 of the Municipal Code. The Building Regulations are published in Chapter 14 Article 5 of the Land Development Code.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA RESIDENTIAL CODE (part 2.5 of Title 24) based on the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC) published by the International Code Council.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA ELECTRICAL CODE (Part 3 of Title 24) based on the 2011 National Electrical Code (NEC) published by the National Fire Protection Association.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA MECHANICAL CODE (Part 4 of Title 24) based on the 2012 Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC) published by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA PLUMBING CODE (Part 5 of Title 24) based on the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) published by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA ENERGY CODE (Part 6 of Title 24) no changes were proposed for the 2013 California Energy Code.
- CALIFORNIA ELEVATOR SAFETY CODE (Part 7 of Title 24) Building Standards within the Elevator Safety Code (Part 7) will no longer be published in Title 24. These provisions will be published solely in the California Code of Regulations, Title 8. This Part of Title 24 will be vacant.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL BUILDING CODE (Part 8 of Title 24) standards approved by the Commission for the 2013 California Historical Building Code.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA FIRE CODE (Part 9 of Title 24) based on the 2012 International Fire Code (IFC) published by the International Code Council.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA EXISTING BUILDING CODE (Part 10 of Title 24) Appendix Chapter A1 Seismic Strengthening Provisions for Unreinforced Masonry Bearing Wall Buildings, and Chapter A3 - Prescriptive Provisions for Seismic Strengthening of Cripple Walls and Sill Plate Anchorage of Light, Wood-Frame Residential Buildings are both adopted by the State and are based on the 2012 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) International Code Council.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA GREEN BUILDING STANDARDS CODE (Part 12 of Title 24) Building Standards adopted by the Commission for the 2013 California Referenced Standards Code.
- 2013 CALIFORNIA REFERENCED STANDARDS CODE (Part 12 of Title 24) Building Standards adopted by the Commission for the 2013 California Referenced Standards Code.
Requests for the Use of Alternate Materials, Design, or Construction Methods, and Board of Building Appeals and Advisors
- Request for the Use of Alternate Methods and Materials DS-104 (PDF) Form Filler
- Board of Building Appeals Form DS-104A (PDF) Form Filler
- BNL1-4A - Submitting Requests for Alternate Methods, Designs and Materials (PDF)
- BNL1-4B - Submitting Appeals to the Board of Appeals and Advisors (PDF)
- List of Board of Appeals Cases
- Information on Board of Building Appeals and Advisor