The City's Economic Development Department implements several economic development programs for the City in order to create and retain jobs and taxable investment in the City of San Diego. Economic Growth Services consists of two focused work units: the Business Expansion, Attraction, and Retention (BEAR) Team and the Government Incentives (GI) Team. These two teams work directly with businesses, business organizations, and City departments to facilitate new investment and to create a business-friendly environment that ensures a stable economy. Economic growth, energy independence, revenue enhancement, and community revitalization are accomplished by attracting new companies, retaining and/or expanding existing companies, making San Diego competitive in emerging markets, and revitalizing older business communities.
The following goals and objectives represent the action plan for Economic Growth Services:
- Attract, retain, and expand businesses through the use of appropriate and beneficial tools.
- Maintain a business-friendly environment to increase jobs and promote economic stability.
- Make San Diego competitive in emerging markets such as CleanTech.
- Foster economic development in economically distressed communities.
- Increase the City's international trade-related activities.
For more information on special incentives and benefits, contact the Mayor's Office of Economic Growth Services at (619) 236-6330.