As of March 14, 2016, this website is available for historical reference only and will no longer be maintained.

Visit the City of San Diego's official website at

Accessibility and Website Information Skip Site Wide Navigation Skip to Content City Seal | HomeCity of San Diego | Home
Search City of San Diego

9-1-1 Information

9-1-1 is the telephone number to call when you need immediate police, fire, lifeguard or medical assistance.

Call 9-1-1 for:

  • Crimes in progress
  • Life-threatening situations
  • Fires
    • Boat Fires
    • Canyon Fires
    • Rubbish Fire
    • Structures Fires
  • Traffic accidents
  • Emergency medical issues (see EMS)
  • Hazardous chemical spills (see Hazardous Materials)
  • Fire/smoke detector or carbon monoxide alarms that are sounding
  • Explosive Devices
  • Elevator Rescues
  • Fuel Spills (see Environmental Response Team)
  • Natural Gas Leak
  • Sparking electrical hazards
  • Smoke in a building
  • Aircraft Emergencies (Crashes, Landing Difficulties)
  • Cliff Rescues
  • Electrical Shorts
  • Beach or water-related emergency
  • Any other emergency. If in doubt, call 9-1-1.

Click here to see a display of the current incidents dispatched by San Diego Fire-Rescue.

Download our free brochure "Help 911 Help You" in English and español

Don't Call 9-1-1 for:

Do not call 9-1-1 if you do not have a real emergency. Non-emergency calls to 9-1-1 can delay response to true emergencies.

  • Reporting a leaking fire hydrant (contact the Public Utilities Department)
  • Inquiring about a large fire or other incident. Tune in local news or call 2-1-1
  • Seeking information about a previous call
  • Animals injured or trapped
  • Snake Removal (contact the County of San Diego Animal Control Department)
  • Trees down in the street (contact Street Division)
  • Beehives (check the Yellow Pages for a private removal company)
  • Flooding of property (fire crews will respond if the flooding is caused by the City or if the flooding is causing a hazard)
  • Other non-emergency incidents (find contact information in the Citizen Services Directory)
  • If you are in doubt if your situation is an emergency, call 9-1-1.