Knox Box Program
The Knox Box Program provides the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department with a quick and easy means to access a secured building or area during an emergency. It also minimizes potential costly repairs caused by forcible entry and allows the building to be re-secured quickly and easily. When access is difficult for emergency responders, the Chief is authorized to require a Knox Box or Key Switch to be installed in an acceptable location. (CFC 2013 Section 506)
Download and Print All Three (3) PDF Files
- SDFD Requirements and Procedures for Ordering (PDF)
- SDFD Knox Product Application Form (PDF)
- Knox Authorization Order Form (PDF)
The information which must be included on the SDFD Knox Product Application Form is:
- the applicant's name, business name, address, phone number and e-mail
- the installation/inspection job site address, business site name, contact person on site, and cell phone number
- indicate whether this is a Knox Box installation or Knox Key Switch installation
- sign and date the application.
Choose the products you want to order using the Knox Authorization Order Form. Please complete sections 1, 4, 5 and 6.
There is a $189.00 one time City fee per address for Knox Product Lockup and final inspection. The check is to be made out to "City Treasurer"
San Diego Fire Rescue Department
1010 Second Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92101
Attn: Knox Program Coordinator
Once the Knox Program Coordinator has processed and signed the order form authorizing the installation, the Knox Authorization Order Form and receipt will be emailed to the applicant who can then send the Knox Authorization Order Form and payment to the Knox Company for the ordered product.
Refer any questions to (619) 533-4400 and ask for the Knox Program Coordinator.