Aquatics Program & Pools
- Pool Locations
- Summer Portable Pool Program
- Recreational and Lap Swimming
- Facility Admission Fees
- Scholarships and Fee Waivers
- Emergency Testing & Safety Checks
- Pool Rentals
- Community Partners
The San Diego Park and Recreation Department Aquatics District offers affordable, year-round programs at 13 city-wide locations.
All programs are led by professional and enthusiastic swim instructors. Swimmers of all ages and abilities will discover that the benefits of aquatic instruction, recreation and fitness are endless.
Pool Schedule for Non-Summer Operations - Most pools close for 3 ½ months during the year on a rotating basis.
or view a list of all our pool locations.
Summer Portable Pool Program
This program is offered at many recreation centers throughout the City during the summer months. Portable Pools are designed to bring swimming lessons and recreational swim opportunities to communities without permanent pools.
At Portable Pools, swimming lessons follow the Learn-to-Swim Program format. These lessons are provided either FREE or at a reduced rate. They are available to children who are at least three-feet tall and toilet trained. Participants may register for these classes at the host recreation centers. Registration is on a firstcome, first-served basis. Portable Pools are not open on registration days.
See the Portable Pool Schedule for this summer's dates, times and locations.
Recreational and Lap Swimming
Everyone is encouraged to swim during designated swim times in a supervised, unstructured atmosphere.
Note: Specific lanes and areas will be designated for Lap and Recreational Swimming at certain times. However, pool may be utilized for other programs as well.
Facility Admission Fees
All persons entering the facility during Recreational and Lap Swimming times MUST pay the following admission fees:
Adults (16 years & older): $4/visit or $30/10 visits or $85/30 visits
Children/Disabled/Seniors(62 years & older): $2/visit or $15/10 visits or $40/30 visits
- Discount passes may be used at all City pools.
- Passes expire one year from the date of issue,
- Children under seven years of age or less than four feet tall MUST be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult in a swim suit at all times (including in the water, on the deck and in the restroom)
- While in the water, a parent or responsible adult must remain within arm’s reach of the child
- City of San Diego Swimming Pools may close without notice during inclement weather conditions.
Scholarships and Fee Waivers
A limited number of scholarships and fee waivers (based on financial need) are available. Please contact your Pool Manager for more information.
All Aquatics programs, schedules and fees may be changed and/or cancelled without notice.
Emergency Testing & Safety Checks
All City pool personnel are subject to emergency testing at any time. Patron patience and cooperation during these drills is greatly appreciated. There may also be ten-minute safety checks conducted every half hour or every hour during Recreational Swim hours.
For information on Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs), please review these safety guidelines (PDF) provided by the Center’s for Disease Control (CDC).
All City pools are available to rent for exclusive or shared use (birthday parties, school activities, athletic teams, company parties, special events and more). Contact your Pool Manager for more information on scheduling and pricing.
The following businesses and organizations support the San Diego Park and Recreation Department Aquatics Program:
- San Diego Surf Lifesaving Association
- San Diego Fire-Rescue Department
- American Red Cross: San Diego-Imperial Counties Chapter
- Vanguard Charitable Foundation
- San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation
- Price Philanthropies