About the Library
The San Diego Public Library (SDPL) serves the informational, educational and recreational interests of San Diego through 35 branches, Central Library, the READ/San Diego literacy program and an online presence.
Mission of the San Diego Public Library
"To inspire lifelong learning through connections to knowledge and each other."
The San Diego Public Library is a popular destination that connects our diverse community to free educational and cultural resources that will enrich their lives. With 6.6 million visitors, the library is the largest cultural institution in San Diego that offers FREE programming.
- Population Served:
- more than 1.3 million residents, encompasses an area of 342 square miles
- more than 5.3 million books, including e-books and audio-visual materials
- 3,138 periodical subscriptions
- 1.6 million government documents; and
- more than 265,295 books in 25 languages other than English
- See Fiscal Year 2015 Fact Sheet (PDF)
Our Next Chapter
In September 2013 the San Diego Public Library (SDPL) opened our new state-of-the-art and award winning Central Library that better serves our entire region and has put us on the map internationally. The visibility and increased use of this new library has generated renewed interest in libraries in our city resulting in:
- Expanded Hours (beginning Monday, January 4, 2016)
- New Building Projects
For other questions or concerns, call 619-236-5800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org